The 20th March marks the International day of happiness around the globe… It’s a great opportunity to stop for a minute and appreciate the positive things that we have in our lives that make us feel happy.
Some days are harder than others to focus on and appreciate the good things in life, especially if we are under an immense amount of pressure or hardship. But the reality is, there will always be moments in our life which make us feel stressed out or overwhelmed. The secret to happiness is that we must wake up and choose to be happy. Happiness is a choice. It starts off first thing in the morning when we wake. Happiness is a choice that we must make on a daily basis.
There are many ways in which we can make ourselves happy. Below are my favourite 5 that I would like to share with you!
- Exercise: It’s true…exercising daily can improve your mood in a positive way. When we exercise, our body releases neurochemicals called endorphins. Endorphins assist in giving us a feeling of euphoria, general happiness and well being. Additionally, endorphins have other positive effects on the body such as balancing our appetite and improving our immune system. The good news is that it only takes up to 5 minutes of moderate exercise to start getting the positive mood enhancement effect. So next time you’re feeling a little stressed due to a challenging situation, walk it out or hit the gym!
- Get enough sleep: There is so much research promoting the health benefits of getting enough sleep. Lack of sleep weakens our immune system, fogs our brain, dwindles our memory and makes us more susceptible to getting sick as well as making us less productive at work. We all know that being exhausted does not make us feel happy! A study from a Berkley neuroscientist found that not getting enough sleep results in more negativity in our brain. We can not feel happy if we are not well rested. For adults, a healthy amount of sleep is between 7 to 9 hours a night.
- Start your day with positive affirmations: Affirmations are powerful statements that support our belief system and our sense of worth. ‘I am’ statements are the most powerful as they are creation words, therefore, we create on a subconscious level. For example, an “I am happy” affirmation, sets us up on a subconscious level to create that feeling within ourselves. When we can start our day with affirming how we feel, who we are, what we will achieve, it sets us up for feeling empowered and being conscious of what we would like to achieve.
- Surround yourself with positive people: the people we interact with on a daily basis have a profound influence on our mood. Whether intentional or not, moods and energies are contagious. As we know, it’s not always possible to only interact with positive people, especially in a work setting. However, in a personal environment, we can make choices about who we choose to surround ourselves with. It’s as easy as taking the time to reflect on how another person makes us feel. If we come away from an interaction and feel uplifted, and supported, it’s safe to say that this is a positive friendship and one that will create an atmosphere of happiness in your life.
- Hug someone: Hugging is a sure way to make yourself and others feel happy. Hugging produces a love hormone called oxytocin which is released by physical touch. Oxytocin decreases our levels of stress and can lower blood pressure. Neuroecononmist Paul Zak recommends at lease 8 hugs per day to increase happiness in your life and also to improve your relationships. So what are you waiting for? Go hug someone today and get that happy feeling!
In the words of the action for happiness pledge, lets all affirm together…. “I will try to create happiness in the world around me”. And with the tips mentioned above, we can all be one step closer in achieving happiness around us!
Lets all together “Bring Happy Back”
Yours in happiness,